top ten popular young adult authors i’ve never read

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 |
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, where we all get to exercise our OCD tendencies and come up with bookish lists.  If you’d like to play along, check out this post.

top ten tuesday

Here is the sad truth, folks: I don’t read fast enough to keep up with current releases, much less backlist titles or classics (in any genre).  This means I miss great stories and fantastic authors all the time.  The good news is that I will never run out of books to read, even if I narrow down the field to just young adult fiction.  My second confession?  Sometimes I choose not to read famous authors ON PURPOSE.  There’s a contrary corner of my soul that rails against hype and buzz, and you see the result in the list below.  I’m working on it, I promise.

Top Ten Popular Young Adult Authors I’ve Never Read


1. John Green – I don’t even know how I hold my head up and say I read young adult fiction.  I really don’t.

2. Cassandra Clare – Erm.  I tried the first chapter of one of her books once, and it wasn’t meant to be.  I’ve always meant to go back and try again and see if I like it any better.

3. Jay Asher – I know his Thirteen Reasons Why is very important, and that there’s a girl on a swing on the cover.  I don’t know anything else.

4. Ann Brashares – I never read The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, so I wasn’t really aware of Brashares.  BUT.  She has a new sci-fi/dystopian book out, and that is my thing, so maybe it’s time…

5. Veronica Roth – This is a pure case of my allergy to hype.  When Insurgent came out there was a huge push on social media, and for two weeks I couldn’t look at my twitter feed without seeing something related to the series.  It turned me off completely.  I’m contemplating reading the book now that the film is almost here.


6. Ally Condie – I thought I wanted to read the Matched series at one point.  But I have a deep aversion to love triangles at the moment, and I don’t know that I could handle it.

7. Rainbow Rowell – EVERYONE says that Rowell’s books are great.  I have no excuse, except that I am very picky about contemporaries?

8. Richelle Mead – I keep saying I’m over vampires… but if I’m being honest, I didn’t give YA vampire books (aside from Twilight) a fair chance.  Also, I swear that's Angelina Jolie on the cover!

9. James Dashner – Another case of hype striking, and my reading self recoiling from perceived popularity.  This is getting ridiculous.

10. Ransom Riggs – The cover of the first (and second) book totally creeped me out!

Which of these authors should I read ASAP? 

13 comments:

Tanya Patrice said...

Read Mead first! Love the VA series. Shelve Riggs and Roth (yeah I said it) and give Clare a chance :-)

Marie said...

Not really familiar with any of these authors, but this has to be at least the forth in as many lists that I've seen Cassandra Clare on. Wonder what's up with that?

Anonymous said...

I haven't read a lot of these authors either. I have read Cassandra Clare, and I know I should just stop because they're ridiculous but I can't now. I'm in too deep. :) I do like Ransom Riggs. Creepy but fun.

My TTT

Kristen M. said...

I was turned off by the Riggs cover too but then when I finally read the book, found out it wasn't that creepy at all. It's more just strange and time travelly and exciting. I think you would like it actually.

I gave my sister a Rowell book for Christmas but I didn't get a chance to read it first. I'm curious but also wary because of the raves.

Carrie-Anne said...

I also studiously avoid books surrounded by massive hype. When I do chance to read them, even just partially, I almost always disagree with the crowd and scratch my head at all the gushing 5-star reviews.

My TTT

kayerj said...

I love John Green, but I wasn't to impressed with Veronica Roth. I think this weeks lists are so interesting, so many authors to be introduced to. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

Obsessive Compulsive Reader said...

I haven't read John Green either despite my multiple attempts and self-promises that I will, very soon. I enjoyed Veronica Roth even though I had issues with Allegiant but I don't know if she's worth all the hype. Like you, if a book comes highly recommended and has been loved throughout social media, I tend to be a lot more critical and have a higher expectation than usual - which usually ends up meaning I didn't love it as much.

New GFC follower :)

My TTT

Witless Fool @ Obsessive Compulsive Reader

Liviania said...

I like Clare's steampunky series okay, but the other stuff is overhyped and super derivative.

I haven't read Roth, Dashner, or Condie myself.

I like John Green. Looking for Alaska, his first, is probably still my favorite.

I hate hate hated Thirteen Reasons Why. It's emotionally manipulative and just gross.

I like what I've read of Rowell. You might like Fangirl, or at least the Simon Snow parts.

I like Richelle Mead. I do find that her series tend to lose steam halfway through. You might try her one of her adult series, which aren't about vampires.

I really need to finish Riggs.

carol said...

The only one I've read on your list was the first Rigg's Miss Peregrind's Home, which I enjoyed until the end.

Ginny Larsen said...

wow, WOW. all of these (with the exception of one--the sisterhood) are things I have (or had) in my classroom library/ have read/ own at home.

just goes to show...

Tales of Whimsy said...

You must try Rainbow. She's amaazingggg!

Misty said...

Veronica Roth is on mine, too. And I considered putting Jay Asher and James Dashner on the list, but some others won out. Didn't even think of Rowell, but yeah, I guess she's the author of the moment, so probably should be on the list...

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

Ok, so I'm going to defend a couple of these:

Vampire Academy - the first book is so-so, but the rest? SO GOOOOOOD. I just started reading them the last few months because of a recommendation from my sister and I think you would really really like them. They're vampires, but the mythology is actually pretty different and interesting. Essentially there are "bad" vampires and "good" vampires and the half-vampire/half-humans who are sworn to protect the good vampires.

Rainbow Rowell - These are contemporaries about nerdy people and they are lovely and wonderful. Perfect in every way.

Random Riggs - The books aren't THAT creepy really. Just have some creepy images.

Now for the ones I agree with you about:

The Maze Runner - Skip it. I hated the writing.

Divergent - I really just didn't care about this series at all. I'm not finishing it.

Cassandra Clare - Meh. Kind of fun, but not really worth it. I liked The Mortal Instruments movie though!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home