books i've been meaning to read for...forever

The Book List is a short and fun meme that allows you to share books with the blogosphere and make a list. Who doesn't love lists (QUIET, you!)? It is hosted weekly by Rebecca at Lost in Books.


This Week's Topic is: 3 Books that have been on your TBR (to be read) list the longest…


1. My Invented Country by Isabel Allende


I went to Chile (and fell in love with it) in the summer of 2004. I went to Spain in the fall of 2004. I bought this book in Spain. And I have taken it EVERYWHERE with me. It survived the after-college book purge, another trip to Chile, moves to Florida, Georgia, and Seattle, and it now resides on a shelf in my DC apartment. I always mean to read it, but somehow it never happens. That may also be due to the fact that I bought the Spanish-language version, and I read about three times slower in Spanish than in English. One day I will read this book! Sigh.


2. Enna Burning by Shannon Hale


I love Shannon Hale’s books. I read The Princess Academy, The Goose Girl and Book of a Thousand Days in quick succession. And then I bought Enna Burning and River Secrets…and they’ve just been SITTING. ON. MY. SHELF. Accusing me, making me feel guilty, and proving that even with books by the authors I love, I can still be the ultimate procrastinator. Probably not something to put on the résumé, eh? But I intend to read this one by December, because it's on my 'Once Upon a Time' reading challenge list.


3. The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig


As a long-time fan of The Scarlet Pimpernel and the Regency period in general, it is a travesty that I haven’t read this book. It was a birthday gift, and a good one. From the year 2007. I just have never gotten around to reading it. But I will, never fear! Because the cover is just too gorgeous, and one of these days (probably a rainy day, with hot chocolate) I will discover just how much of a fool I’ve been to delay.


What are three books you’ve put off reading?

13 comments:

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I've never read Isabel Allende, but she's been on my list forever. I'm going to try to read The House of Spirits this year.

Isn't it funny how sometimes a book has been on the TBR shelf so long that it has become something more intimidating than it originally was.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Ditto on #2. I really must read more Shannon Hale :)

Lexie said...

I know how you feel about Shannon Hale, I had 'Enna Burning' and 'River Secrets' on my shelf for the longest time as well. Just...forgot to get around to reading them I guess. I have 'forest born' somewhere as well XD

Lenore Appelhans said...

Oh yeah...I've been meaning to read a ton of books. Here are a few that have been on my shelf for 10 years at least:

A Confederacy of Dunces
One Hundred Years of Solitude
The Sheltering Sky

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I don't think I'd be able to put off reading a book by a particularly beloved author! What made you delay in this instance? =)

April (BooksandWine) said...

The Secret History of The Pink Carnation is an excellent rainy day book!

Rabid Fox said...

The books on my TBR shelf that I have been putting off, and will likely continue to put off, is obscene.

1) Gabriel García Márquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude
2) Erich Maria Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front
3) Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth

Kristen M. said...

Isabel Allende is on my shelves as an author that I've put off. I'm sure once I start reading her books, I will want to get through them all but for some reason I just haven't started the first one.
(I love lists!)

Becca said...

I am hoping to read The Secret History of the Pink Carnation in June. I am using it for my Colorful Reading Challenge. For some reason I have this one, and the third in the series, The Deception of the Emerald Ring, but don't have the 2nd book. I don't know how this happened. lol

Librarian Who said...

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation is an excellent beach read or rainy day book. Light, but with enough substance that you don't feel cheated after you're done.

Unknown said...

Allende is one of my favorite authors and I went to Chile once with my dad but I was only 12 and hardly remember anything.
Pinks Carnation has been on my shelf for forever too but I've heard it's a great historical.

Anonymous said...

Gabriel García Márquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude is pure greatness.
The book that has been on my shelf since forever is "I went to Vassar for this" by Naomi Neale. I don't know why...I loved "Calendar Girl"

Lisa said...

Wow, I'm impressed that you challenge yourself to read in Spanish. I'm curious if having to work that much harder at the reading makes the book any less enjoyable.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home