2010 dystopia challenge

Friday, May 28, 2010 |
Rhiannon is one of those people in the blogosphere who I just ‘click’ with. Not that we’ve had a long correspondence or anything (because we haven’t), and not because it’s necessarily mutual (is it creepy to have a one-way ‘I admire you’ thing? don’t answer that!), but just because I read her reviews and say to myself, “That’s EXACTLY how I feel!” Of course after the high of feeling completely understood, I realize that there’s nothing more to say about such and such a book, so I give up and go on. *grin*

What I meant to say in that last paragraph is that Rhiannon has fantastic taste, and I was inspired to go on a dystopian reading kick by the dystopia challenge she set last year. And this year she’s doing it again, so I’m taking part as well. In her words, “The challenge is to read, ponder and review as many dystopian books as I can before spring. The coldest and darkest months of the year are to be stuffed full of zombies, hazmat suits and oppressive ideologies. What could be cozier?”


Indeed. Part of that, if you didn’t catch it, corresponds to the fact that she lives in the Southern Hemisphere, where they’re just now heading towards winter. I’m taking the easy road and reading my dystopian novels in the bright light of summer. I know, I’m a wimp. But there you have it. Check out her reading list here.


My longlist (which I won’t get through, but sounds good):


Ariel by Steven R. Boyett


Birthmarked by Caragh M. O’Brien


Genesis by Bernard Beckett (I've been trying to finish this title for 6 months!)


Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder


Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer


Matched by Ally Condie


Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins


Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness


Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody


Restoring Harmony by Joelle Anthony


The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson


The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness


The Line by Teri Hall


The Maze Runner by James Dashner


The People of Sparks by Jeanne DuPrau (sequel to The City of Ember, which I loved)


The Road by Cormac McCarthy


Wish me luck!

13 comments:

Rabid Fox said...

Have fun with the challenge. I'm not sure if I could subject myself to that much dystopia, let alone do it for two years in a row. :)

The Road is killer.

Aubrey said...

Add MATCHED by Ally Condie! It comes out in Nov. and is going to be insanely fabulous!

Ginny Larsen said...

good luck. i think i perused Genesis while we were both still at home. skimmed it like nobody's business. yeah, it was okay.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Impressive! You go girl ;) I like dystopian but I have to spread them out.

Lizzy said...

This sounds like a really fun challenge. Sadly, I'm struggling to get through my 2010 Debut Author challenge list, so I'll be focusing on that. Good luck!

vvb32 reads said...

ooo, put The Road on the top of the list. it's a gooood one!

Ryan said...

Love The Road, hope you have fun with the challenge.

Cecelia said...

Aubrey: Thanks for the recommendation! It's added to the list.

vvb32reads & Ryan G: It's at the bottom of the list because it's last alphabetically, but I've heard good things (and I did like the film...) about The Road.

mcmholt@gmail.com said...

I just finished Restoring Harmony and loved it. Jeanne DuPrau's whole series is really good as well. Have fun reading!

Peaceful Reader said...

oh, and I read The Adoration of Jenna Fox-really intricate and complex!

Ryan said...

Loved the movie as well. Pretty faithful to the book with a few exceptions.

Rhiannon Hart said...

That's so awesome Celia! I can't wait to read your reviews :D

Rhiannon Hart said...

And the feeling is definitely mutual!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home